Index of Topics Photo Collections Index Sandusky County Scrapbook Home Page Sandusky County Scrapbook Site Map Credits page Our Sponsors

Meet Our Sponsors:


|Bellevue Public Library | Birchard Public Library | Clyde Public Library | Hayes Presidential Center|

Bellevue Public Library

Bellevue Public Library

Bellevue Public Library is a school district public library that serves to provide the Bellevue community with free and open access to resources, opportunities, and facilities designed to support lifelong learning and leisure. The Bellevue Library is unique in that its service area extends into four counties, including Erie, Huron, and Seneca Counties, as well as Sandusky County. The origins of the library date back as early as 1874 when the Bellevue Reading Room Association was established as a membership library. The Bellevue Library Association was incorporated in 1891, and was not organized as a school district public library until many years later. The library building still used today was built in 1903-1904 with a gift of $10,000 from Andrew Carnegie and an agreement that the citizens furnish the site and operating funds. Bellevue citizens raised money to purchase the site, and the book collection was furnished with a gift from H. C. Stahl, then President of Ohio Cultivator.

Our website address is www.bellevue.lib.oh.us.

to top of page

Birchard Public Library

Birchard Public Library

Birchard Public Library of Sandusky County is a county district library consisting of a main library in Fremont, Ohio and branches in Gibsonburg, Green Springs, and Woodville. Rutherford B. Hayes founded the Library in 1873 with a gift of $50,000 from his uncle Sardis Birchard and served as chairman of the Board of Trustees until his death. One condition of the gift was that the Library be built on the site of Fort Stephenson where an historic battle took place in 1813. The library property contains the grave of Major Croghan, the original cannon "Old Betsy," and a soldiers' monument. Birchard Public Library and its three branches are pleased to serve the informational, educational, and recreational needs of the residents of Sandusky County.

Our website address is www.birchard.lib.oh.us.

to top of page


Clyde Public Library

Clyde Public Library

Established in 1903 and located at the corner of West Buckeye and George Sts. in Clyde, Ohio since 1906, the Clyde Public Library is proud of its heritage as a "Carnegie" library. Upon receiving a petition for funding from the Clyde community for a community library building, philanthropist Andrew Carnegie provided $10,000.00 for the construction of the present building. In 1994, the Clyde community approved additional funding for a building renovation/expansion project, which was completed in 1995. Today, the Clyde Public Library strives to provide resources and services to fulfill our community's informational, cultural, and leisurely pursuits.

Our website address is clydelibrary.org.

to top of page

Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

Honoring the memory of President Rutherford B. Hayes, his family established this presidential library, the first in the United States. It preserves his 12,000-volume personal library along with archival, photographic, and manuscript collections. The library also has a 70,000-volume general history collection. Both manuscript and book collections include considerable material on Ohio, local history, and genealogy, all of which were special interests of Hayes. The library is part of the Hayes Presidential Center, which includes the Hayes ancestral home, tomb, and a museum, on a 25-acre estate in Fremont, Ohio. The Center is open year-round for tours and is affiliated with the Ohio Historical Society.

Our website address is www.rbhayes.org.

to top of page

©2001 Sandusky County Scrapbook (Ohio). All rights reserved.
Site Designed by: JMG Digital Development Services.
Updated 31-Jul-2001