courtesy of: Terrance T. Burke)
The Rainbow Garden opened
May 29, 1926 with Frank Buehler as manager. At first the Garden was
open only during summer, since there was no roof over the dance floor,
but eventually the floor was enclosed. Tables and chairs were placed
outside of the dance floor, and the building could accommodate as many
as 4,200 people.
The Kirksville Osteopathic
band that opens the summer season at the Garden dance hall was organized
by a well known local boy, Raymond Forsythe. Pete as he is known to
his host of friends, is a student at the Osteopathic school and for
years has been a drummer, first with local organizations and later
with organizations with country wide reputations.
The band is composed of
students of the Osteopathic school and are known as the syncopation
experts of the Middle West. Eight men comprise the band and they operate
twenty instruments during the evening. They also have plenty of novelties
that go to entertain. Their Lydia Pinkham number will be the rage
in Fremont within five days.
[Excerpted from: "New Recreation Center Opens,"
Fremont Daily Messenger, May 29, 1926]
Written by Cheryl Laugherty -
to top of page